--> SCM Music Player - seamless music for your Website, Wordpress, Tumblr, Blogger.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

C♠rdturning

I wrote a review about a book for my local library on the book As Easy as Falling off the Face of the Earth by Lynne Rae Perkins. In return, they sent me this nice new book, The C♠rdturner (ok, the book cover really has the spades symbol in it, but you can see that it's called the "cardturner") by Louis Sachar.

Everyone knows that Sachar is a great author. Just look at his past works.

Well anyways, I'm not done reading it, but so far, I've got to say, it's an amazing book with that trademark Sachar style. Alton Richards has a great-uncle who is uber-rich but is dying. Ever since he was little, his parents initiated Alton to tell his great-uncle "I love you" or "You're my favorite uncle" and etc., so they would be included in the will. ($_$) Well, the great-uncle is turning blind, so he enlists Alton to be his 'cardturner', where he reads the card to his uncle and helps him play bridge. That's right, bridge.

Apparently, bridge is a complicated game that I don't understand yet, and as Sachar says, it is not played a lot nowadays, and young people are especially clueless about it. Count me in the clueless group.

Also very apparent, since my copy of the book was received from the library, it's a "advance reader's copy - not for sale" that reviewers/libraries receive and get to read before it's sold to the public. Mwahahah!


That's all for now. I hope.


Requests
  1. Hemlock2009 - status: complete [link]
  2. Demon-in-the-snow - status: complete [link]
  3. ShavaniDray - status: complete [link]
  4. My own sister - status: complete [link]
  5. lilith-lips - (reference: Miranda Nell) - status complete [link]
  6. My crazy friend who wants a pirate - status: complete [link]
  7. My expressive friend who likes anything I draw - status: 95% (Note, I'm done with the initial picture, but I have no idea what to do for the background. Also, I'm considering entering this piece into Anime-Lovers-United's contest.)
  8. Hemlock2009 - (reference: link) - status: 0%
  9. wytewolf - status 0%
  10. Kai45 - (reference: Shayna & Auron) - status: 5%
Contests
There may be more but I'm forgetful . . .

Some PH omakes I found. Some are funny, but some are testing my limits. PH Omakes

I've gotta do the dreaded HOMEWORK now. Loves, and survive. Hope you'll still be alive. ♥

2 comments:

  1. It's so confusing, since I have no idea how to play bridge, but I agree, I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful.